tunnel update

March 28, 2009

I have just fixed a couple of bugs in the tunnel server that will undoubtedly have been causing some irritations.

Firstly I have fixed a bug in the legacy double plus stuffing logic that has resulted in some attachments being corrupted when being sent.

Also, I have made a change that allows the tunnel to react better to slower smtp servers. This fixes a problem where users see Message Send Error 550 Unable to connect.

Version 1.1.12 is in progress and has a couple of nice new features including integration with the built in BlackBerry notifications, allowing you to set a ringtone or other alert for a new message in tiggit.


STARTTLS at last

March 16, 2009

I have given up trying to use the RIM provided TLS library to get STARTTLS to work, and finally accepted that I need to use Bouncy Castle*. I have integrated bouncy castle with the code, and built it with the RIM compiler, all of which happened without an issue.

The implementation of STARTTLS is very straight forward and switching an existing socket connection to a TLS connection is literally three lines of code.

I need to cut down the size of the bouncy castle library as it is currently three times the size of the tiggit application.

I am expecting that STARTTLS will be included in release 1.1.12, along with the ability for tiggit to automatically use STARTTLS if it is available from the server. Version 1.1.12 is a little way off though. 

* Bouncy Castle is an open source java encryption library created by The Legion of The Bouncy Castle. More information can be found on their website http://www.bouncycastle.org

RSS Feed

March 6, 2009

For those that are interested, it is possible to set up an RSS feed to this site using the URL


This will ensure that you are advised of each update, and any comments that are made. You will not need to check back from time to time to see if a new version has been released. It also provides the opportunity to digg posts on to diggit.

Upgrade to OS 4.5

March 4, 2009

Today I received an interesting email from Patrick about upgrading to OS 4.5.

I have been using Tiggit since I purchased it in January of this year.  I use it on my Blackberry 8330 Curve.  For the most part it did the job.  It always had a few “funky” traits, for instance I would have to to hit the Send/Receive twice in a row for it to actually start working, and it complained of uncaught exceptions and, as I recall, some sort of Java errors as well.  I installed, reinstalled, configured several times and, for the most part, just accepted these nuisances as part of the charm of the software — on the plus side it forced me to become quite conversant with all of the settings for the network, accounts, etc.  Last week, however, I upgraded the OS on my BB from 4.3 to the new 4.5 OS.  All of the bugs that plagued tiggit have now vanished.  And mind you I have made no changes to the configuration settings of tiggit itself.  I’ve been running tiggit now for about ten days without the slightest hitch in any respect.  It seems to be working so well that if I saw an upgrade on your web site I probably wouldn’t install it. ;-)   I thought I would just pass this along to you just in case you have support messages from users that are complaining of bizarre error messages that you can’t replicate.  If they can upgrade their OS, they might want to give that a try first and see if their problems magically disappear.

It is pleasing to hear that upgrading to OS4.5 has solved a number of nuisances, some of which I recognise from my own experiences. If you are thinking of upgrading to OS 4.5, take care to upgrade to a new build of this release. OS4.5.35 simply does not work with tiggit mail, and should be avoided.

As an aside, I normally test tiggit mail first on a Bold running OS 4.6, then a Storm running OS 4.7, and then on a Curve 8330 with OS 4.5 and  a Curve 8300 on OS 4.2. I don’t have an 87xx series device so this is ust tested with a simulator.

version 1.1.11 now available for preview

March 2, 2009
Version 1.1.11 is another bug fix release, and is now available for user preview. It provides a number of fixes to message header processing and formulation.
Adds display headers function: Pressing shift, then h will cause tiggit to display all the headers for the message. Use the trackball to scroll through down to see the message.

Here are the details of all the updates and fixes within this version.

  • fixes timezone problem for negative timezones
  • removes un-necessary to and cc header lines
  • removes un-necessary commas from header lines
  • revised reply all parser to handle commas in descriptive names, including support for semi-colon delimiters
  • changed one address per header line for bcc
  • fixes incorrect representation of license expiry month
  • added reload function – Shift L
  • added display headers function – Shift H
  • adds additional sort trigger
  • improved outbox handling
  • improves error handling around IMAP APPEND messages
  • fixes problems with creating messages with non-roman characters including cyrillic, and allows for mixed cyrillic and roman text

The various bug fixes around handling non-Roman character sets now allow receiving and composing messages using mixed character sets.



Registered users can download version 1.1.11, by clicking here and entering the email address that was originally used to register for tiggit mail. Exisiting license tokens will continue to work with this version. Users are advised to take appropriate precautions when upgrading to this version as all messages on the handheld may be lost.